Yet Another Good Thing About Chocolate Milk

November 21st, 2006 Visited 8137 times, 1 so far today

It turns out that your mom was right– and then some!  Yes, there’s yet another study done by people who have too much time and money on their hands, and this one states that “one of the most effective drinks to help athletes recover after exercise is… [a] simple glass of chocolate milk.”

I can just see it now.  Watch for the dairy industry to up its ante in the advertising of “Got Milk?” to include some athlete coming back on a time out (for a commercial or in a game) and they pick up (out of a cooler, of course) a flask of chocolate milk and then smile into the camera with a milk mustache.  “Milk, it does my body good and helps me get back in the game.”

The small group of fit athletes who took part in the study were asked to work out strenuously on a stationery bicycle, then drink low-fat chocolate milk, a fluid-replacement drink like Gatorade and a carbohydrate replacement drink like Endurox R4. A few hours later, they were asked to cycle again until they reached exhaustion.

The test was repeated three times — once with each kind of drink — and the data showed that the cyclists were able to go between 49 and 54 percent longer on the second stint after drinking chocolate milk than when they drank the carbohydrate drink. The difference between the milk and the fluid-replacement drink was not significant.

“My way of explaining it is, there’s really nothing magic about the powder in a can that you mix with water,” cycling coach Scott Saifer said of the carbohydrate drink. “It’s water, carbs, proteins, maybe minerals and electrolytes. What’s in chocolate milk? The same thing. There’s no reason it shouldn’t be as good for recovery as a carb drink.”

So, next time you’re out, instead of picking up that sports drink, grab a glass of chocolate milk– but don’t laugh too hard or it will come out your nose!

Comments

• ann_in_grace says on: January 7, 2007 at 2:26 pm

My favorite drink, and my children’s. In fact, we like it so much that we run out of milk sometimes 🙂

• Mary says on: January 8, 2007 at 10:39 am

An hour from us is this dairy that sells flavored milk in half-gallon glass jars. YUM. We’ve gotten root beer flavored milk, peaches and cream, cappuccino milk, but our favorite is oranges and cream.

Who needs chocolate? Milk, that is. :O)

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 8, 2007 at 10:55 am

I can see a cow out of my window, if that is any good 🙂

• MInTheGap says on: January 8, 2007 at 3:46 pm

My grandfather owned a dairy farm?

• Mary says on: January 8, 2007 at 4:33 pm

Well, I’ve milked both cows and goats before, if you’re taking it that way. In fact, I could post a pic of us helping a baby calf nurse from a nanny goat. (If I can find it!)

And my great uncle owned a dairy here in our little town, we still have glass bottles with the family name on them…

• ann_in_grace says on: January 8, 2007 at 4:41 pm

LOL. Mary, I win anyway. I have a picture of me, 3 yo, milking a

pig.

• Mary says on: January 8, 2007 at 4:43 pm

WHAT? A pig? Hands down, you win! Lol…

• MInTheGap says on: January 8, 2007 at 4:52 pm

Umm– I’m not even going to say that, in a few weeks my wife will be nursing a child! 🙂

• MInTheGap says on: January 8, 2007 at 5:08 pm

That’s a good point– but I doubt I’ll ever show a photograph of that one either, so you’ll have to trust me there.

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 8, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Your child gets the credit for that one though.