Thirteen Things You Learn at VBS

July 27th, 2006 Visited 2044 times, 1 so far today
Thirteen Things MInTheGap learned at VBS
1. Boys are more scared of being kissed than girls.
2. It’s hard to get children to remember to bring their Bibles.
3. When mixing concrete, it’s hard to figure out just how much dry mix you need.
4. It’s hard to have two points to a single lesson.
5. Rack, Shack and Benny may be more popular than Shadrach, Meshack and Abendego
6. Children don’t remember Hannaiah, Misheal and Azariah quite like the other names.
7. One cookie is not enough of a snack– even if there is juice.
8. The playground may say that it’s rated for 5 years old and up, but that doesn’t stop the two year old from climbing the ladders.
9. Dads make for great lifts up to higher playground platforms.
10. Puppets are nice and all, but it’s better if they have a voice instead of just opening their mouths.
11. Don’t let the computer geek run the projector — either he forgets to change the slide or, in the process of trying to make the display work better, shuts off the screen when you’re trying to teach a new song.
12. Children like it when you put things up on the screen behind the presenter that make them laugh.
13. It’s a lot of work, but it is worth it.Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. TBirdOnAWire 5. Betsy 9. Kristarella 13.Denise
2. KarenW 6. Carmen 10. Raggedy 14. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
3. Trinity13 7. Gail 11. Skittles
4. Mary 8. Karen 12. Nicole

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

Comments

• tbirdonawire says on: July 27, 2006 at 11:13 am

Too cute! My kids are teenagers and love helping with VBS every year. It is a lot of work, but worth every minute.

• KarenW says on: July 27, 2006 at 11:41 am

#13 – I agree! It’s been a long time since I’ve been involved in VBS. I miss it.

My TT is up!

• Trinity13 says on: July 27, 2006 at 2:28 pm

I agree, one cookie is never enough! Besides, kids have two hands to put a cookie in each one. πŸ™‚

• Mary says on: July 27, 2006 at 4:41 pm

Good one! So, on #11 are you the computer geek or the one trying to lead song time?
    I know, I know, the one leading song time…
    #3 brings back memories…and our VBS was just two months ago…

• Betsy says on: July 27, 2006 at 4:57 pm

We just finished our VBS last night! Loved your post and could totally relate! I’m anxious to check out your site more!

thanks for the visit!

• carmen says on: July 27, 2006 at 6:20 pm

VBS was always a summer highlight when I was a kid. And yep, one cookie wouldn’t cut it with me either. πŸ™‚

• Gail says on: July 27, 2006 at 7:58 pm

Ah yes, Bible school, those are the good times! Love #5, I’m studying Daniel in a bible study now!
    Thanks for visiting mine.

• Karen says on: July 27, 2006 at 8:02 pm

it’s been a long time since I helped at VBS. it was always fun- have a great weekend!

• kristarella says on: July 27, 2006 at 10:44 pm

Cool, yeh projectors, you need someone who knows about the music as well as computers.

That’s how I’ve remembered their names. By saying “Rack, Shack and Benny” in my head then I can come out with their real names. Vegitales are cool but often the “moral” of the story isn’t want God meant at the time. Josh and the Big Wall ends with something like “God is always there”, or “he always fights for you” or something like that but really God was fulfilling promises to Israel while punishing other nations for their ungodliness. I suppose the faithfulness aspect is like “God is always there” but not quite.

• MInTheGap says on: July 27, 2006 at 11:00 pm

Well, I was the one running the projector, actually. If it had been a few years ago, I was the one that was leading the music. I thought I knew what I was doing and would make things easier, but I ended up making it so that they couldn’t see the words to the new song. They like what I’m able to do with it now, though.

Tonight we had ice cream– that was almost enough in the heat.

• Raggedy says on: July 28, 2006 at 4:14 pm

Great list!
    VBS is such fun!
    Have a wonderful weekend..

• Skittles says on: July 28, 2006 at 10:45 pm

Great TT!!! YOu are so good at these. πŸ™‚ Thanks for visiting my site.

• Nicole says on: July 29, 2006 at 1:20 pm

One cookie is definately not enough. I’ve noticed #1 is true as well. It is hard to get Young Adults to bring their Bibles as well.

Glad everything went well πŸ™‚

• Denise says on: July 30, 2006 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for stopping by last Thursday. Sorry for not posting sooner, we were on vacation and I’m just now getting caught up! Great TT!