Really? Obama is Our President?

November 5th, 2008 Visited 1796 times, 2 so far today

bush_pres_article_large.article_large

If you believe half the things that you read on the net—at least in places that I read, you’d believe that this article (Bush: ‘Can I Stop Being President Now?’)from the Onion was true!

I don’t know how many times I’ve read someone saying that Sen. Obama is our President now, emphasis on ours, etc.  The fact is, he’s not President until he’s sworn in January 20, 2009.  This isn’t sour grapes, this is a statement of fact!

No, I’m not going to go all conspiracy theory on you or delude you with false hopes.  I’m not going to talk rogue electors or anything like that.  I’m not even going to tell you that you shouldn’t be praying for the man or that you should look to Texas as a logical place to secede from Union.

However, just like always, I’ll ask you to get your terms straight.  It may be true that in a little more than two months Sen. Obama will become Pres. Obama (barring something unforeseen happening) but the correct title is “President-Elect”.

In the mean time, there’s a lot to be thankful for.  My district’s House seat may end up going to the GOP—and that would be terrific.  It looks like Proposition 8 in California will be enacted.  We don’t have to hear 4 more years of whining about how the electoral process is unfair and that people steal elections—it’s almost refreshing to hear certain parties say that the American People have spoken—even though this was still a close race with the Popular Vote (but we won’t be whining because we know the rules of the game).

In the meantime:

• Continue to pray for our current President and leaders.  There are still two months left and who knows what can happen.
  • Continue to be gracious in defeatno sour grapes.
  • Check out this Post Election True or False Quiz, and remember that this is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
  • And like I learned last week—In everything give thanks—I Thessalonians 5:18.

Comments

• Holly says on: November 5, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Gotta go check to see if my terminology is wrong….

🙂

• Holly says on: November 5, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Ah ha. I was inconsistent. I knew it he was pres. elect – but only said so part of the time. Sorry about that.

• Katie says on: November 5, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Thanks you for pointing out the incorrect usage. It can seem like being a stickler sometimes but it always bothers me when people use an incorrect term or misuse a term.

Katies last blog post..Now what?

• MInTheGap says on: November 5, 2008 at 2:49 pm

@Holly: No need to apologize– I didn’t have you in mind. It was a lot of other sites I was reading.

@Katie: You’re welcome!

• Leticia says on: November 5, 2008 at 4:23 pm

That’s right, thanks MIn.

Leticias last blog post..Time to get busy….

• Michael says on: November 5, 2008 at 7:54 pm

I’m going to say little, I find mixing politics with anything is like experimenting with matches and gasoline. It’s going to hurt.

My social networking preference is Facebook and it is completely inundated with political status updates and celebration. Some close friends and family are wearing their loss; putting on a brave face and trying to be positive. I’m sure there’s lots of prayer going on in America tonight.

Many of these friends have children who are grown up or growing up, a number of them over 18 and able to vote. I have noticed a surprising amount of apparent pro-Obama supporters in these “kids”, a very different atmosphere than that of their parents. I see very little activity on one side, party central on the other.

As parents we need to be mindful and careful, especially if we have lost touch with our children. The social pressure and cool thing to do was to Support Obama. From this outsiders perspective that’s exactly what happened.

This reminds me as a parent to guide and counsel my children why we believe what we do, to be proud of it and to stand up for it. I’m going to try and be open to questions, to explore differences in opinion/politics/religion together. And I’m going to need a lot of help doing it.