Are You Serious About Reading the Bible?

March 4th, 2008 Visited 2661 times, 1 so far today

Bible Header

We as believes say that we want to know more about God.  We say that we want to know God’s will.  But how serious are we about truly getting to know God through His Word?

This is something I was challenged as I was using StumbleUpon to surf the web.  The site I found promised that following these four steps would change my life

In late August I stumbled across a variation of the four steps in a blog post by Fred Sanders. I implemented his recommendation that day and have followed the process almost daily since then. Last month I had the pleasure of meeting Sanders in person and telling him how his post had transformed my life. My hope is that at least one other person will follow this advice and experience the same transformative affect.

Before I reveal the four steps I want to reiterate that while the advice could transform your life, it most likely will not. As with most life-altering advice, it is simple, easy to implement, and even easier to ignore. Statistically speaking, the odds are great that you’ll ignore this advice. Therefore I encourage you to stop reading now; you’ll only be wasting your time reading further.

For the one or two people who will find this useful, the four steps that will transform your worldview are:

1. Choose a book of the Bible.
  2. Read it in its entirety.
  3. Repeat #2 twenty times.
  4. Repeat this process for all 66 books of the Bible.

Christians often talk about having a Biblical worldview yet most have only a rudimentary knowledge of the Bible. They attempt to build a framework without first gathering the lumber and cement needed to create a solid foundation. The benefits of following this process should therefore be obvious. By fully immersing yourself into the text you’ll come to truly know the text. You’ll deepen your knowledge of the Bible as a whole and be able to put each book into context.

I’m sorry to say that I haven’t tried this yet.  Anyone want to do this with me and observe the changes?

Comments

• MamaArcher says on: March 4, 2008 at 4:27 pm

Right now I am reading through the Bible in a year chronologically and I am reading with the Puritan Reading challenge.

I think what you posted is a really great idea of picking a book of the Bible to really concentrate on. Maybe for next year!

MamaArcher’s last blog post..Language Lesson — Speak With Conviction

• Mrs. Meg Logan says on: March 4, 2008 at 5:59 pm

I am currently in Hebrews, I have read it twice in the last week… wanna start there?

Mrs. Meg Logan

Mrs. Meg Logan’s last blog post..How I Potty Trained My 20 Month Old Daughter

• AG says on: March 4, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Min and Meg,

I’m on board! I suck at getting into the Bible, but know I need to do it. Can we all email each other and hold each other accountable to read?

AG’s last blog post..The Jealous Lover

• Mary says on: March 4, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Twenty times! Wow, that’s a new one, but I can see how you’d see something new with each reading, and get a great grasp of it as well. Maybe some of it would even stay in my recall w/o actively trying to memorize it!

I’d love to do this too…so are we starting in Hebrews…

Just not Numbers right off the bat, okay? 😉

Mary’s last blog post..Junk for Cash

• Charley says on: March 4, 2008 at 11:38 pm

I heard that John MacArthur suggests a variation on this idea, but for the purpose of Scripture memory. Instead of a whole book, you pick a chapter and read the entire chapter each and every night before bed for 30 days. Memorization almost happens automatically!

I haven’t tried it yet…but desire to! I’m thinking about Ephesians. In about six months, the entire book should be basically memorized.

Charley
    HomeDiscipling Dad Blog

Charley’s last blog post..Withholding Affection- Revisited

• MInTheGap says on: March 5, 2008 at 8:56 am

An interesting challenge. Hebrews is a great book– are we sure we want to start with that and not a smaller one? We should see if anyone else wants to get in and maybe start next week. How would we want to keep track? I could devise some kind of grid where we could check a box every time we’ve read the book. That would be interesting, and it shouldn’t be that hard to do…

• Mrs. Meg Logan says on: March 5, 2008 at 9:27 am

Yeah I like the grid check idea.

I don’t really care where we start. I just was throwing that out there.

Mrs.MegLogan

Mrs. Meg Logan’s last blog post..How I Potty Trained My 20 Month Old Daughter

• MInTheGap says on: March 5, 2008 at 10:25 am

Of course your husband wants to have everyone read online– I think that could really wear on your eyes.

• Mrs. Meg Logan says on: March 5, 2008 at 1:51 pm

well I don’t see how EVERYONE needs to read online… but… HE sure can! LOL

Mrs. Meg Logan’s last blog post..How I Potty Trained My 20 Month Old Daughter

• MInTheGap says on: March 5, 2008 at 2:48 pm

If we got “everyone” to read, then we’d be able to see the world converted! 🙂

• Mary says on: March 5, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Okay, well, I was up early this morning and got the first 7 chaps of Hebrews read. So even if we start elsewhere, I enjoyed the prompt to delve there…lots to think about! It’s a pretty short book, MIn, only 13 chapters. Were you thinking we should start in Jude or something? 😉

Mary’s last blog post..Junk for Cash

• MInTheGap says on: March 5, 2008 at 10:27 pm

I was just hoping for a little lead time to get some kind of accountability thing set up. I once read all of Hebrews in one sitting in summer camp– that was definitely a blessing.

I’m up for Hebrews if everyone else is– I may even get Virtuous Blonde to join in.

• Mary says on: March 12, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I saw on tweeters (?) that you’re on your second time through, MIn! Way to go, and I guess we’re definitely in Hebrews then!

I’m on my second time through also, it’s a great book!

Mary’s last blog post..More Daylight, Less Sleep

• MInTheGap says on: March 13, 2008 at 7:04 am

I’m actually trying out Twitter, and that is where you saw it. I’ve done it twice, once in NKJV and once KJV. I got VB to do it once, don’t know if she made it through the second time.

• MInTheGap says on: March 18, 2008 at 9:19 am

So, I’ve read it three times through– how are the rest of you doing?