In the Bible, It Was Considered Being Barren

November 10th, 2007 Visited 1746 times, 1 so far today

despair Sarai was.  So was Rachel.  Elizabeth was for a time, as was Samuel’s mother.  Samson’s mom was too.

I’m talking about having trouble bearing children.  It’s not just something that happens today, but it’s happened all throughout history, it’s just how we have dealt with it and what we think about it that has changed.

Children are a Blessing

You see, our society has inverted what children are.  The true way to find out the value of a child in this society can only be found by asking someone that hasn’t had any.

These people are in anguish, and they appear to be willing to spend any amount of money, to do whatever they have to or can, in order to have the blessing of a child.

Nowadays you have quite the options available to you too:

• Foster care
  • Adoption
  • Fertility Clinic
  • In-Vitro Fertilization
  • Sperm Banks

The list goes on and on.

It wasn’t always this way.  At one time people recognized that God gave life and that He was both the Giver and Withholder.  So, people prayed and asked God for children.  Some of the women that did not have children until later ended up having one special child set apart for the Lord.

A couple that are my parents’ age had a child like this.  Told that they would never have their own child, they ended up having one very late in life.

How many times do we not look in faith to God because we think technology or science has the answer?  How many things do we look to reason and logic to tell us what is going on when we should be enquiring at the throne of Heaven?

Comments

• Buffy says on: November 12, 2007 at 9:38 am

Sarah and Rachel did not have the faith to wait for God to act. They pressurised their husbands to have children with their women servants so they could be surrogate mothers. I’m not sure much has changed except we try different ways to get what we want.

• Musicguy says on: November 12, 2007 at 1:18 pm

Regardless of faith and belief in god, I have a difficult time with the “sit back and wait” mentality. Could it be that the technology and other approaches to infertility are god’s way of answering prayers? I think it’s very presumptuous of a believer to insist that god answer in a specific, perhaps more “bibilical” way.

• bonnie says on: November 13, 2007 at 1:39 pm

Musicguy, not all knowledge is good knowledge. Hence the Tree of knowledge of good and evil…

• Musicguy says on: November 13, 2007 at 3:51 pm

How are any of the items listed below BAD knowledge? You’re going to have to expound a bit to illustrate your point.

Foster care
    Adoption
    Fertility Clinic
    In-Vitro Fertilization
    Sperm Banks

• Musicguy says on: November 13, 2007 at 6:44 pm

What exactly is bad about adoption, invitro, etc? You’re going to have to expound to illustrate your point.

• MInTheGap says on: November 14, 2007 at 9:44 am

There is nothing wrong with adoption. Invitro I’m against because it creates multiple human beings to be disposed of as science experiments instead of the people that they are.

The point I was trying to get at with these posts is not that science and technology are bad and should be shunned (I mean, I do work with computers for a day job!), but that I believe that we as a society in general, and Christians in particular, have replaced a desire for God with a reliance on science.

“Science” is our new god. And that is what I see is the problem.

• Buffy says on: November 16, 2007 at 8:55 am

I think you have a point. I don’t mean we should never use science to help us at all. But over the last 30 years or so we have often thrown caution to the winds and used all sorts of technologies to get us what we want and are only just realising that in some ways we have done a lot of damage. I’m not saying it is wrong to have IVF but has sufficient research been done into the side-effects on a woman’s health of taking all those drugs?