Smilies

:whistle:
whistle
😉
wink
:wub:
wub

A short time ago Mary was asking Stephen how he made the smilies he did on the site. I didn’t know what she was talking about, but after some research I found this this site and it tells how to use the default smilies.

After looking around a little bit, however, I found the smilies at right, and decided to implement them. You should see both the smile that you can make! To make them, place colons ( : ) around the word. So, for “whistle” type : whistle : without the spaces.

The old 🙂 s don’t work so I’ll have to run some code to convert the old smilies to the new format if we decide to keep it.

So let me know what you think about the new smilies– will you use them, do you like the old ones better?

Update: I’ve made : ) and some other familiar ones work. If you see any icons you’d like to have a different expression, let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

Comments

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 26, 2007 at 9:18 am

Well, obviously I have to try one out! :sunsure:

🙂

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 26, 2007 at 9:19 am

Oops… I think I may have spotted a problem! :unsure:

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 26, 2007 at 9:23 am

Right – now for my opinion. I would almost certainly foregt most of the smiley strings I would want. Writing 🙂 is second nature, but 🙂 (that is colon smile colon) makes me think a bit, and is not necessarily transferable to other sites. It also is a secret art that new readers of your site would need to be initiated into.

Some of those extra smileys are quite good, and someone could have fun using them in a post. But nothing beats simplicity, so if you cannot keep the old 🙂 smileys, I would vote for going back to them.

Besides which, with my typing my posts will be full of :sunsure: !!

Thanks for looking into this though.

Regards,
    Stephen

• MInTheGap says on: January 26, 2007 at 10:34 am

Point well taken, Stephen. This plugin is supposed to allow for a pop up to include them in comments– though it isn’t working. Would putting the images above the comment box (hover over showing the key strokes) help? Or would they need to be clickable? Clickable is more work, of course.

Writing 🙂 is second nature, but smile (that is colon smile colon) makes me think a bit

Well, making you think is the last thing we would want to do 😉

• ann_in_grace says on: January 26, 2007 at 11:53 am

Min, do not make him think – he is commenting way too often 🙂

• Mary says on: January 26, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Ooh, smilies! Great job, MIn! :happy:
    Yes, put them in the comment box, hovering is fine…but if they’re not there at all, I know I’ll forget them. And Ann’s right, we don’t need Stephen mispeling somethig and thus having a good reason to squeeze another comment in…

(hmmm…might be a good idea) :silly:

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 26, 2007 at 2:57 pm

Hover over to show the keystrokes would be fine (but it might clutter up the comment box… I don’t mind there being secret smilies that I always forget, so long as 🙂 works!

As to squeezing the extra comment in…. :whistle:

• MInTheGap says on: January 26, 2007 at 3:25 pm

Well, guess what. I was able to get the thing to work as buttons! ğŸ˜Ž
    Just click on the smiley and it’ll be inserted into the text of your comment. No more having to fret over spelling, Stephen. 😉

Have a nice day. :sideways:

• ann_in_grace says on: January 26, 2007 at 3:30 pm

OK. Now I can say that it is going to work fine 😆
    Just wanted to mention that sometimes the light posts about funny stuff are welcome, i am back from other blogs where the atmosphere is tense and serious, and a laughter or two is appreciated.:wub:
    I have just popped in between the evening chores and my blog writing.
    Stephen, you have exceeded the limit of comments on this post. :devil: Watch out!

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 26, 2007 at 5:08 pm

There’s a limit?

What happens if I exceed the limit? :cwy:

• ann_in_grace says on: January 26, 2007 at 5:20 pm

The page will be too long :biggrin: if the limit is exceeded.
    😆 😆 😆

• Mary says on: January 28, 2007 at 10:55 pm

I agree with Ann, I like the fun posts too…and love the clickable smileys! :biggrin: