The Comment Wars

January 9th, 2007 Visited 1878 times, 1 so far today

More-Lessons-on-the-Laptop-2_thumb.jpgYesterday the Comment Wars were in full force. Don’t know what I’m talking about? Look at the right sidebar and the Top 5 Commenters. The top 3 commenters were all competing for the right to be at the top of the list. For most of the day it looked like it was between Mary and Stephen Kingston, but then, overnight, ann_in_grace resumed her spot at the top!

One tactic I’d like to contribute to the comment wars– since people who write comments are subscribed to comments by default, one way to retain an advantage is to find a post that someone in the war hasn’t commented on– that’ll make them have to come to the site to check where you’ve gone in order to keep up instead of getting an e-mail.

Also, the Comment Wars look like a lot of fun– but let’s not lose the discussion or get to posting “hello” just to win. Remember the rules– if your comment doesn’t really pertain to the post or the conversation in the comments, I’ll have to remove it!

Comments

• ann_in_grace says on: January 9, 2007 at 9:28 am

Will do!
    It was actually not overnight for me, it was in the morning 🙂
    And it is kind of fun, too!
    One problem: finding a post NOT commented on by our Dear Mary is almost impossible 🙂

• Mary says on: January 9, 2007 at 9:52 am

Yup, I think I discoverd Dear MIn (since we’re being so lovey-dovey) in July, or he discovered me, I should amend, back when he first moved here to WordPress. I was a new blogger and latched onto this site! Hey, it’s a great site!

Good thing I did or I wouldn’t have met you!

• ann_in_grace says on: January 9, 2007 at 9:57 am

Shush – I think Stephen is working or something and cannot go on for now 🙂
    Yes, it is a great site, and – it was HE who discovered little me, look how strange life is 🙂

• ann_in_grace says on: January 9, 2007 at 10:31 am

Stephen, it is Girl Power. You cannot win with it… 😉

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 9, 2007 at 10:27 am

It was actually not overnight for me, it was in the morning

Yes, I was still in top place at 9.00 this morning (GMT). Then I went to a meeting, and when I get back I’m number 3!

Hmph!

🙂

• flashnolan says on: January 9, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Wow, this comment war has really speeded up. I think I will leave a comment myself. 🙂

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 9, 2007 at 12:43 pm

Leave another 7 and you too can be a top 5 commentator 🙂

• flashnolan says on: January 9, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Really? I had no idea…or maybe that is my whole agenda! lol

• Mary says on: January 9, 2007 at 4:25 pm

I hate to say it, but I’m gracefully bowing out…
    Much as I like to, I can’t keep up! I’m for letting the two or three of you duke it out…
    :O)

• flashnolan says on: January 9, 2007 at 5:03 pm

I still have a long way to go to even reach your level, Mary. On another note maybe your bowing out is all part of your master plan? j/k ;-P

• Mary says on: January 10, 2007 at 1:10 am

Yeah, well the 30 day cycle is vicious…it starts all over again tomorrow…so all of yesterday’s many comments will not really amount to much? Here’s hoping! Once all this flurry is over, and commentors resume their normal commenting consistency…

Well, it was fun while it lasted!

:O)

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 10, 2007 at 5:17 am

I don’t think the cycle just starts over. Any comments over 30 days old just drop out of the ranking. Thus yesterday’s comments are good for another 29 days!

• MInTheGap says on: January 10, 2007 at 9:34 am

Right, Stephen, the only comments that are counted are the last 30 days of them. I think what Mary’s trying to say is that if you go comment crazy all in one day, 30 days from now those will disappear and it’ll be a huge drop.

Now, if you’re a consistent commenter, then you don’t have much to fear, because the number you lose in a day will be roughly what you do in a day. BUT if you’re in the habit of posting sporadically with a ton of posts, that one day 30 days from now can be a big one– just to maintain the position you have!

In any case, there’s definitely an advantage to being on top– you regulars know that this site is laid out in a special way for the top two– and you are prominently displayed!

• flashnolan says on: January 11, 2007 at 2:34 pm

So this comment should be good for 29 more days! 🙂

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 11, 2007 at 5:22 pm

Yes indeed.

Hey, I have added a top 5 commentators to my blog if anyone wants to start a war there too 🙂

• Mary says on: January 11, 2007 at 6:47 pm

This is catching on, MIn. I bet we’re keeping you pretty busy, moderating all these new commentors (that Rebecca and I are bringing to the blog…)…juggling the comment war winners back and forth…and btw, where did your uncategorized posts disappear to?

• ann_in_grace says on: January 11, 2007 at 8:11 pm

Mary, just draw the ruler up on the main page, to chose a fairly old page of the blog. There are many treasures there, in the beginning, sitting there like orphans, no comments at all 🙂

• MInTheGap says on: January 11, 2007 at 9:49 pm

Stephen, I think I returned the favor– and reign #1. What’s the time scale for your comments?

Mary, yes you are keeping me busy. I’m still looking for more commenters! I though it was a little tacky to have so many uncategorized posts, and taking that category away means that as I get to them, they are appropriately filed.

Ann– that’s slick. I was wondering how you were still finding old posts to post on. I can tell you guys are going to have fun when the adventure begins. 🙂

• Stephen Kingston says on: January 12, 2007 at 5:29 am

You are now the all time top commentator on my blog. When the all time numbers start to creep up to about 50 posts or so, I’ll change it to monthly. Unfortunately if I set it to monthly now, I don’t get a top 5 commentators – only a top 4!

• Mary says on: January 12, 2007 at 4:24 pm

Hey, Stephen, thanks for the invite, I’ll have to stop by soon. :O)

Forgive me Ann, for making you post another comment :O) but what ruler? TIA.

MIn, what? Looking for more commenters by way of me? I’ll have to dig deeper! Btw, just as an introduction, Jana is my best friend who lives way up north…she’s an awesome lady of God with a heart for foster care and a FULL house at the moment with 6 living there and one away at college…Rhonda is my new crit partner on this fiction writing journey I find myself on…and Beth is her friend who came here at Rhonda’s request for me. Sweet, huh. Gina is another good friend I made from the American Christian Fiction Writer’s website…she owns the Writer…Interrupted webring at which I occasionally post! Amy…I’m not sure how I know Amy. I’m suspecting that Rhonda sent her here for me as well. I’ll have to ask!

• Mary says on: January 12, 2007 at 5:18 pm

Wow, there it is, clear as can be. I’m used to coming here directly from my site feed of your blog…clicking on certain posts. Guess that’s why I’ve not seen it before!

Thanks!

• MInTheGap says on: January 12, 2007 at 4:58 pm

Nah, not more commenters from you, Mary. You did a very well– I’m trying to encourage the others!

I think the “ruler” that Ann is referring to is on the main blog page (with all the posts instead of the single post). It’s right above the first post and lets you move a slider from right to left. You could also navigate to http://www.minthegap.com/category/uncategorized/ and that would show you the uncategorized like you were used to seeing them, I assume.